Studies show that have a TV set in children’s room is the most damaging way to affect children's sleep patterns. Consequently, audiobooks are increasingly used to help children sleep.
Is it fine for children to fall asleep to audiobooks?
The National Literacy Trust said audiobooks can break some of the barriers to reading for reluctant readers. It said audiobooks allows children to access a wide range of stories and listen to it beyond their reading level.
40% of children agreed they use their imagination more when listening to stories than when watching videos. Not only an audiobook is a great alternative to staying on screens, but it creates a sense of serenity before bedtime. It is a great way to switch off screens and create some calmness before bedtime.
So, why not make bedtime and naptime more relaxing with best audiobooks for bedtime – perfect for young listeners to enjoy before falling asleep.
Establishing bedtime routine for young children is essential
It is good for little ones to have a little extra time to relax before going to sleep, and story time is so important. The perfect way to make this time of relaxation for kid’s routine each night is by means of audio bedtime stories. To introduce audiobooks into child's bedtime routine is to get them excited, by selecting stories to listen to that are both appealing and relaxing. We have gathered best bedtime audiobooks for kids to enjoy before bed.
Here are a few of the best bedtime audiobooks for kids.
From Penguin Random House
- Ladybird Sleepy Tales (2019)
- Ten Minutes to Bed: Little Mermaid by Rhiannon Fielding & Chris Chatterton (2019)
- Peppa Pig: Peppa’s Bedtime Stories (2017)
- Ladybird Bedtime Tales (2017)
- Ten Minutes to Bed: Little Monster by Rhiannon Fielding & Chris Chatterton (2018)
- Ladybird Bedtime Stories for 3 Year Olds (2020)
- Ten Minutes to Bed: Little Unicorn by Rhiannon Fielding & Chris Chatterton (2018)
Sleepy audiobooks to help little ones drift off by GoodtoKnow
- Ladybird Sleepy Tales, read by Candida Gubbins
- The Little Elephant Who Wants to Fall Asleep, read by Rachel Bavidge and Roy McMillan
- Peppa Pig: Bedtime Stories, read by John Sparkes
- Puffin Sleepy Tales, read by Ellie Heydon
- Goodnight Spaceman and Other Stories, read by Rachel Bavidge Roy McMillan, and Tim Peake
- Wind in the Willows, read by an ensemble cast including June Whitfield and James Saxon
- Ladybird Bedtime Tales, read by Nigel Pilkington and Gemma Whelan
- In the Night Garden: The Bedtime Book, read by Mark Silk
- Ten Minutes to Bed: Little Unicorn, read by Suranne Jones
- Tom’s Midnight Garden by Philippa Pearce, read by an ensemble cast
Audible’s Best Kids' Bedtime Audiobooks
- Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr. & Eric Carle
- Where the Wild Things Are, Goldilocks and the Three Bears, Doctor De Soto, & Owl Moon by
Maurice Sendak, James Marshall, William Steig, Jane Yolen
- The Snowy Day by Ezra Jack Keats
- Red Riding Hood by James Marshall
- Harold & the Purple Crayon by Crockett Johnson
- Bedtime and Sleep Stories for Kids by Sweet Dreams Stories
- Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus by Mo Willems
Amazon’s Best Sellers in Audiobooks on Bedtime & Dreaming for Children
- The Magic Unicorn: Bedtime Stories for Kids by Sarah Doll
- 365 Bedtime Stories by Disney Press
- Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak
- Mighty, Mighty Construction Site by Sherri Duskey Rinker
- Don't Let The Pigeon Stay Up Late! by Mo Willems
- Llama Llama Red Pajama by Anna Dewdney
- The Wonderful Things You Will Be by Emily Winfield Martin
- Goodnight, Goodnight, Construction Site by Sherri Duskey Rinker
Since the goal is to get children to fall asleep, consider sticking with familiar titles on classics, fairy tales, lullabies, and myths that your child already knows. Not too much suspense or unknown for them, that might feel them to stay awake instead of resting. If there is an audiobook that your child loves, do not be afraid to play it for them several times. Children find comfort in stories they heard over again.
Create an Account. It's free!
Subscribe Now: Only $9.99/month (7 Days Trial)
* OTP will be sent to verify Mobile Phone Nr